Aadhar Card to PAN Card Link: An Aadhaar card contains a unique 12-digit number issued to every citizen in India by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It acts as an identification number that helps access the cardholder’s details from the government database, such as biometrics and contact information. Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, being a resident of India, can enrol to obtain an Aadhaar number voluntarily. The enrolment process is free of cost. Once an individual enrols, their details are permanently stored in the database. One person cannot have multiple Aadhaar numbers.
If you hold a PAN and are eligible to get Aadhaar or already have an Aadhaar number, you must inform the income tax department. You can do this by linking PAN to Aadhaar. If you fail to do PAN-Aadhar linking, your PAN will become ‘inoperative’. link aadhar to pan card
- 1 In Hindi:
- 2 How to Link Aadhaar With Pan Card?
- 3 Online/Offline Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN
- 4 Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN via SMS
- 5 Exemption from Linking of PAN and Aadhaar
- 6 Process of Linking Aadhaar to Income Tax Returns
- 7 Linking PAN and Aadhaar Online
- 8 How to Rectify Issues in Linking PAN and Aadhaar
- 9 Correcting Errors in PAN Card
- 10 FAQS on Aadhar Card to PAN Card Link
आधार कार्ड में भारतीय विशिष्ट पहचान प्राधिकरण (यूआईडीएआई) द्वारा भारत में प्रत्येक नागरिक को जारी किया गया एक अद्वितीय 12 अंकों का नंबर होता है। यह एक पहचान संख्या के रूप में कार्य करता है जो सरकारी डेटाबेस से कार्डधारक के विवरण, जैसे बायोमेट्रिक्स और संपर्क जानकारी तक पहुंचने में मदद करता है। कोई भी व्यक्ति, चाहे वह किसी भी उम्र और लिंग का हो, भारत का निवासी होने के नाते, स्वेच्छा से आधार संख्या प्राप्त करने के लिए नामांकन कर सकता है। नामांकन प्रक्रिया नि:शुल्क है। एक बार जब कोई व्यक्ति नामांकित हो जाता है, तो उनका विवरण डेटाबेस में स्थायी रूप से संग्रहीत हो जाता है। एक व्यक्ति के पास कई आधार नंबर नहीं हो सकते हैं। link aadhar card to pan card
यदि आपके पास पैन है और आधार प्राप्त करने के योग्य हैं या पहले से ही आधार संख्या है, तो आपको आयकर विभाग को सूचित करना होगा। आप पैन को आधार से लिंक करके ऐसा कर सकते हैं। यदि आप पैन-आधार लिंकिंग करने में विफल रहते हैं, तो आपका पैन ‘निष्क्रिय’ हो जाएगा।
How to Link Aadhaar With Pan Card?
The income tax department notification states that income tax returns could be e-filed without linking Aadhaar and PAN until 5th August 2017. However, the deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar was extended to 31st December 2017, and after that, the due date was extended multiple times. As per the latest updates, the deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar is 31st March 2023. Any person linking PAN with Aadhaar after 1st April 2022 has to pay a penalty on the same.
Note:- That if you file the income tax returns without linking PAN-Aadhaar, the income tax department will not process the returns until PAN and Aadhaar are linked. People can visit the official e-filing website of the department to link the two identities in both cases– identical names in the two databases or in a case where there is a minor mismatch.
Online/Offline Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN
You can do online linking of the Aadhaar number with PAN by logging on to the income tax e-filing portal. There are two ways of doing it on the income tax portal.
- Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN via SMS
- Without logging in to your account (2-step procedure)
- Logging in to your account (6-step procedure)
Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN via SMS
Method 1: Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN via SMS
Now you can link your Aadhaar and PAN through SMS. The income tax department has urged taxpayers to link their Aadhaar with their PAN, using an SMS-based facility. It can be done by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161. Send SMS to 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number in the following format:
- UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
- Example: UIDPAN 123456789123 AKPLM2124M
Method 2: Without Logging in to Your Account (2 Step Procedure)
- Go to www.incometax.gov.in.On scrolling down the home page, click on the ‘Our Services tab.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number
On successful validation, a success message will be displayed.
You will receive a 6-digit Time Password on your mobile number. Enter this OTP on the verification page on your screen. Once you enter the OTP, click on the ‘Validate’ button.
Method 3: Logging in to your account (6-step procedure)
- Register yourself at the income tax e-filing portal, if you are not already registered.
- Log in to the e-filing portal of the income tax department by entering the user ID.
- Confirm your secure access message and enter a password. And click ‘Continue’ to proceed further.
- After logging in to the website, click on ‘Link Aadhaar’. Alternatively, go to ‘My Profile and select ‘Link Aadhaar’ under the ‘Personal Details’ option.
- Enter details, such as name, date of birth and gender
- will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-filing portal. Enter Aadhaar number and name as per Aadhaar. Verify the details on the screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
- It is mandatory to give your consent by selecting the check box ‘I agree to validate my Aadhaar details.
- In case only the year of birth is mentioned in your Aadhaar card, then select the check box asking ‘I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card.
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar number has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
Exemption from Linking of PAN and Aadhaar
Linking Aadhaar with PAN is mandatory only for those individuals who are eligible for obtaining Aadhaar. Certain individuals who are exempt from this rule include:
- NRIs, OCIs, POIs, etc. who do not reside in India but conduct businesses here do not have to get their PAN linked with Aadhaar
- Foreign nationals residing in India also do not have to mandatorily get their Aadhaar linked with PAN
- Taxpayers of Assam, Meghalaya, and J&K are also exempted from linking their PAN with Aadhaar
- Those senior citizens who are above 80 years of age do not have to mandatorily link both their documents
Process of Linking Aadhaar to Income Tax Returns
The Government has made it very easy to link PAN with Aadhaar for Income Tax Returns by either getting the documents linked online or by simply sending the SMS.
Linking PAN and Aadhaar Online
Follow the steps mentioned below to link PAN and Aadhaar online:
- Visit the ITR e-filing website i.e. https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option in the ‘Services’ section
- Enter your PAN number
- Input your Aadhaar number
- Enter your name as mentioned in the Aadhaar card
- Tick the square if only your birth year is mentioned in your Aadhaar card as the date of birth
- The visually challenged users can avail this facility by requesting got an OTP instead of an image captcha
- Enter the verification code and click on the Link Aadhaar button
Note: Your Aadhaar will be linked instantly with your PAN. However, your PAN will not be linked with Aadhaar if details like name, gender, and date of birth do not match in both documents. In that case, you will first have to get your details corrected and then link both documents again.
How to Rectify Issues in Linking PAN and Aadhaar
The only issue that occurs in linking PAN and Aadhaar cards is because there are errors in the spelling of your name, gender, or date of birth. These errors might be due to several reasons such as an error in updating the details in your document or other human errors. This could lead to a serious issue in case you want to link your PAN and Aadhaar. In order to get your documents linked, you will first have to get those details corrected. There are separate methods for updating your details for both PAN and Aadhaar.
In case there are errors in your PAN details, you will have to get them rectified through the NSDL website. If your Aadhaar has errors, you can get it updated on UIDAI’s website.
Correcting Errors in PAN Card
In order to get your PAN card details corrected, you have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of NSDL E-Governance at www.tin-nsdl.com
- Click on ‘PAN’ under the services section
- Now, click the ‘Apply’ option under the ‘Change/Correction in PAN Data’ category
- From the ‘Application Type’ dropdown menu, you need to select the ‘Changes or Correction in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in Existing PAN Data)’ option
- From the dropdown menu of ‘Category’, select the correct category of the assessee, for example, if the PAN is registered in your name, select ‘Individual’ from the list
- Now, enter your name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number
- You have to fill the ‘Captcha’ and click on the ‘Submit’ button
- Once submitted, your request will be registered and a Token Number will be sent to the registered email ID. You can also continue the process by clicking the button given below it
- You will now be redirected to the form and there will be three options to submit your documents, click on the ‘Submit scanned images through e-Sign on NSDL e-gov’
- Fill in all the mandatory details such as your father’s name, mother’s name (which is optional), and your Aadhaar number and click on the ‘Next’ button
- You will now be redirected to a new page where you can update your address
- Upload all the necessary documents such as proof of address, proof of age, proof of identity and PAN
- You need to sign the declaration and click on the ‘Submit’ button
- A new page for the payment process will appear on your screen. Also, payment can be made through demand draft, net banking, and Credit card/Debit card
FAQS on Aadhar Card to PAN Card Link
Initiate the Aadhaar linking process, enter your PAN and Aadhaar number, and the name, date of birth and mobile number details as per your Aadhaar card, the income tax department will send an OTP on the registered mobile number to enable the linking. In the case of a mismatch in the date of birth, you need to update your Aadhaar card data.
Only a resident Indian can get an Aadhaar number. An individual whose stay in India is 182 days or more in the previous 12 months, immediately before the date of an Aadhaar application is a resident. Therefore an NRI need not obtain Aadhaar and link their PAN with Aadhaar.
You need to quote your Aadhaar number for the purpose of filing your income tax return. So in the absence of an Aadhaar number, you need to quote your Aadhaar enrolment number. how to link pan card with aadhar card