Ration Card Aadhar Link: The States government in India issues the Ration card which is an authorized document to every household that is entitled to buy subsidized food grain from the PDS System- Public Distribution System under the National Food Security Act. It also serves as a common way of identification for several Indians. Linking Aadhaar with Ration Card enables you to avail subsidized LPG that the government offers. Since ration cards have been one of the oldest proof of residence in the country, it is important to link them with Aadhaar so that the benefits received by the holder can be streamlined and the cases of fraud can be prevented.
भारत में राज्य सरकार राशन कार्ड जारी करती है जो राष्ट्रीय खाद्य सुरक्षा अधिनियम के तहत पीडीएस प्रणाली- सार्वजनिक वितरण प्रणाली से सब्सिडी वाले खाद्यान्न खरीदने के हकदार हर घर के लिए एक अधिकृत दस्तावेज है। यह कई भारतीयों के लिए पहचान के एक सामान्य तरीके के रूप में भी कार्य करता है। आधार को राशन कार्ड से जोड़ने से आप सरकार द्वारा दी जाने वाली सब्सिडी वाली रसोई गैस का लाभ उठा सकते हैं। चूंकि राशन कार्ड देश में निवास के सबसे पुराने प्रमाणों में से एक रहा है, इसलिए उन्हें आधार से जोड़ना महत्वपूर्ण है ताकि धारक को मिलने वाले लाभों को सुव्यवस्थित किया जा सके और धोखाधड़ी के मामलों को रोका जा सके।
What Is a Ration Card?
A ration card is an official document that is issued by the respective state governments. With the help of this card, qualifying households can buy food grains at subsidized rates according to the National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013.
Previously, based on the state governments’ identification, qualifying households could buy food grains at subsidised rates via the Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS).
In 2013, the National Food and Security Act (NFSA) was passed to provide a certain quantity and quality of food to people at affordable prices. Currently, the state governments that have implemented the NFSA issue two types of ration cards to the qualifying families in their respective states.
Benefits and Uses of a Ration Card
- To access food supplies from a ration shop at subsidised rates.
- It is an accepted form of official identification throughout India as it is issued by the government.
- It can be used as identification proof when applying for a PAN card.
- For opening a bank account and for making money transfers between bank accounts.
- To pay the correct levels of income tax.
- To get a new voter id card.
- And to buy a mobile SIM card.
- For applying for a passport.
- For getting a driving license.
- So for getting a new LPG connection.
- To withdraw life insurance.
How to Link an Aadhaar Card with Ration Card Offline?
Your ration card can be linked with Aadhaar by visiting the nearest PDS shop or ration shop. Ration Card Aadhaar Link will help you in various ways such as ration card search with Aadhaar Card will be easier, you will be able to check ration card status with Aadhaar Card Number, etc.
Follow the steps given below to link Aadhaar and Ration Card offline –
- Visit the nearest PDS centre or Ration Shop
- Carry photocopies of your Ration Card along with the copies of the Aadhaar Card of all your family members. Also, carry a passport size photograph of the head of the family.
- In case your bank account is not linked with Aadhaar, you should also submit a copy of your bank passbook
- Submit all these documents at the PDS shop along with a copy of your Aadhaar
- The representative available at the Ration shop might ask you for fingerprint authentication for first-time Aadhaar authentication.
Once the documents are submitted, an SMS notification will be sent to your registered mobile number. You will receive another SMS notification when the two documents are successfully linked.
How to Link an Aadhaar Card with a Ration Card Online?
Many states provide an option to link Aadhaar Card with Ration Card online and the steps are as follows:
- Visit the official website of your state’s PDS portal
- Enter your Ration Card number
- Then enter your Aadhaar number
- Enter your registered mobile number
- Click on the continue/submit button to proceed further
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP received to submit your request for ration card Aadhaar link
Note: As of now, there is no official portal for ration card Aadhaar link due to which every state has its own portal for ration cards.
About Ration Card
Ration Card is an important official document that entitles its user to avail of food grains and fuel offered by the government at a subsidized rate. The card was launched about five decades ago and it has still not lost its prominence in India. Apart from offering necessary food grains at lower rates, it allows the poor to have proof of identity in the country and establish a connection to the government database. It is of three types- Antyodaya, BPL (Below Poverty Line) and APL (Above Poverty Line). Eligibility depends on the economic status of the family.
Documents Required for Linking Aadhaar Card With Ration Card
Given below is the list of documents needed for the Ration Card Aadhaar Link:
- Photocopy of your Ration Card along with an original card for on-site verification
- Copies of Aadhaar of all family members
- Photocopy of Aadhaar of the head of the family
- Passport size photograph of the head of the family
- Copy of bank passbook in the case bank account is not linked with Aadhaar
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar Card With Ration Card
Following are the benefits of the Ration Card Aadhaar Link:
- It will reduce the number of fake Ration Cardholders who are enjoying subsidies which are otherwise meant for the below poverty line (BPL) families
- Once Aadhaar is linked with a Ration Card, families will not be able to possess more than one ration card on the basis of fake details
- Fraudulent activities can be prevented after Aadhaar is linked with a Ration Card
- The biometric-enabled distribution system would help PDS shops identify the genuine beneficiaries and streamline the benefits accordingly
- Diversion and leakage of PDS ration can also be controlled
- Aadhaar creates an audit trail in the Public Distribution System, thus identifying and eliminating corrupt middlemen and adding efficiency to the framework
How can I change my mobile number on a ration card?
To change your mobile number on a ration card you must follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official state government PDS portals such as https://pds.jharkhand.gov.in/secc_cardholders/ercmsActivityRequest
- Enter your Ration Card Number
- Enter your registered mobile number
- Click on the “Submit” button
- You will receive an OTP, enter the OTP to proceed further
- Upon verification, a reference number/acknowledgement number will be displayed
- Your request to update/change your number will be submitted
FAQs on Ration Card Aadhar Link
To check if your Aadhaar Card is linked with a ration card you need to submit a copy of your Aadhaar Card along with the photocopy of your Ration Card to the nearest PDS Shop. Also, finger biometrics will be done to authenticate and verify your identity with your Aadhaar Card.
You have to visit the nearest bank branch to link your bank account with a ration card.
How can I download my ration card with an Aadhaar card?
As of now, there’s no such procedure to download your ration card with an Aadhaar Card.
Yes, as per the government notification it is mandatory to link your Aadhaar card with a ration card.
What is e KYC in ration card?
With the government stipulating that ration beneficiaries should complete the electronic Know Your Customer (e-KYC) by August 30, there has been a rush at Aadhaar enrolment centres in the state. Earlier, the e-KYC of either the head of the family or the spouse was enough.
In order to continue getting food grains under the Public Distribution System (PDS), it is mandatory to link your Aadhaar card with a ration card before September 30. If your ration card is not yet linked to your Aadhaar card then do it as only two days are left. Both the documents can be linked online as well as offline