UIDAI Virtual ID: According to the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), a Virtual ID (VID) is a temporary 16-digit number that is mapped with the Aadhaar number. It can be used in place of an Aadhar card number for authentication and KYC purposes. An aadhaar Virtual ID (VID) provides access to the cardholder’s biometric information and basic details including name and address. According to UIDAI, it is not possible to get an Aadhaar number from Virtual ID.
भारतीय विशिष्ट पहचान प्राधिकरण (यूआईडीएआई) के अनुसार, एक वर्चुअल आईडी (वीआईडी) एक अस्थायी 16-अंकीय संख्या है जिसे आधार संख्या के साथ मैप किया जाता है। इसका उपयोग प्रमाणीकरण और केवाईसी उद्देश्यों के लिए आधार कार्ड नंबर के स्थान पर किया जा सकता है। आधार वर्चुअल आईडी (वीआईडी) कार्डधारक की बायोमेट्रिक जानकारी और नाम और पते सहित बुनियादी विवरण तक पहुंच प्रदान करता है। यूआईडीएआई के मुताबिक वर्चुअल आईडी से आधार नंबर प्राप्त करना संभव नहीं है।
What is Aadhaar Virtual ID?
Virtual ID is an alternative to an Aadhaar number. This temporary code consists of 16 digits which are generated against the Aadhaar number. However, in no case can the Virtual ID or VID be used to retrieve the original Aadhar card. At a time, only one Virtual ID is generated against the Aadhaar number. The user can generate it as many times as he wants. This revocable code is valid for at least one day and can be changed with a change in date i.e. 00:00 AM.
Steps to Generate Your Aadhaar Virtual ID
- Visit the UIDAI website: https://uidai.gov.in/
- Select ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator’ from the list of available Aadhaar services under the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab.
- A ‘Generate or retrieve VID’ window pops up. Select ‘Generate VID’.
- Fill in your Aadhar number details with the captcha code.
- Click on ‘Send OTP’.
- After OTP verification, UIDAI will generate and notify you with a message “Virtual (VID) has been sent to your registered mobile number”. It can also be generated through the mAadhaar app.
As per UIDAI, VID has no expiry date. Although Aadhaar cardholders can generate a new VID. And when a regeneration request is made, a new VID will be generated, and the previous VID will be deactivated.
How to generate Aadhaar Virtual ID through mAadhaar?
You can generate a Virtual ID (VID) using the mAadhaar app by following the steps given below:
- Login to mAadhaar App
- Click on ‘Generate Virtual ID’
- Enter your Aadhar Number, and Security Captcha and click on the ‘Request OTP’ button
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and click on ‘Generate VID’ to get your VID
Why do we need an Aadhaar Virtual ID?
There have been several cases where claims of alleged Aadhaar data leaks have been made. People are concerned about the security and details of their Aadhaar. UIDAI has addressed the concerns of the people and introduced a Virtual ID. When users provide their virtual ID instead of Aadhaar, agencies cannot retrieve the applicant’s Aadhaar number and authentication is done as usual. Thus, the Aadhaar details cannot be accessed by the agencies in any way, keeping the Aadhaar number and other details safe from being hacked.
Aadhaar holders can generate a Virtual ID and use it to authenticate for any service. Once the authentication is complete, the applicant can regenerate his virtual ID so that the details with the agency, if saved, are rendered useless.
Features of Aadhaar Virtual ID (VID)
UIDAI has done various upgrades in its system through VID. Some of the salient features of Virtual ID are as follows:
- Virtual ID is a temporary 16-digit code that will replace Aadhaar for authentication
- Only one Virtual ID is issued at a time. When a new VID is issued, the old one is deleted
- Agencies will have to update their system to include VID by 31st May 2019
- Aadhar number cannot be obtained from Virtual ID
- There is no limit to creating a Virtual ID
- It is not mandatory to generate VID. One person VID. instead of presenting its basis
- Agencies cannot force applicants to provide Aadhaar numbers for e-KYC or verification
- Agencies have to take consent from the user for authentication using VID
- No agency is authorized to store the Virtual ID or any other Aadhaar details taken for authentication
- Virtual ID is valid until the user generates a new one
- When you retrieve your Aadhaar, the last generated VID is sent to the registered mobile number
How to Recover Aadhaar Virtual ID, If Forgotten?
If you forget the 16-digit Virtual ID for Aadhaar then you need not worry much as you can create a new one by following the steps mentioned above. But if you want to retrieve the same 16-digit Aadhaar Virtual ID before the end of the day, here is how you can do it:
- Visit the official myAadhaar page
- Log in with your Aadhaar number.
- Then click on Generate Virtual ID.
- Select Recover VID and click Next.
Interesting Facts about Aadhar Virtual ID
- Virtual ID is a 16-digit interchangeable number that is mapped to your Aadhaar number. So this is a circular issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- You should use the Virtual ID of your Aadhar card instead of your Aadhar number Virtual ID makes it almost impossible to track your Aadhar number.
- You can provide Aadhaar Virtual ID to get your e-KYC done in both private and government organizations. Another advantage of the Virtual ID is that it can be used to download the Aadhar card from the online portal of UIDAI.
- It is a temporary code consisting of 16 digits which are generated against the Aadhaar number. It is important to note that only one Virtual ID is generated against the Aadhaar number. So a person can generate it as many times as he wants.
- A new Virtual ID cancels the previous one. Revocable code is valid for at least one day and can be changed with a date change, i.e., midnight.
FAQs on UIDAI Virtual ID
What is the difference between Aadhaar ID and Virtual ID?
VID is a temporary, 16-digit random number that is generated on the Aadhaar number so that it can be used instead of the original Aadhaar number to protect the data of the users. Whereas, the Aadhaar number is a unique and permanent 12-digit random number issued by UIDAI to the residents of India.
I do not have an aadhar card. Can I get a Virtual ID?
Virtual ID is generated against the Aadhar number. If you do not have an Aadhar card, you will have to enrol for it first and once you get your Aadhar, you can also create your Virtual ID.
I have my enrollment id. Can I generate a Virtual ID?
You can generate a Virtual ID only against the Aadhar number. Also, the service of VID generation from enrollment number is not yet provided.
It is mandatory to link the mobile number with Aadhaar to avail of all the online facilities related to it. If you have not linked your mobile number with Aadhaar, then you have to first link your mobile number by visiting the nearby Aadhaar Enrollment Center or online through the Indian Postal Service website and then you can generate a Virtual ID.
Will regeneration of VID result in the same VID or different VID?
Once the minimum validity period expires (currently fixed as a calendar day) and the Aadhaar card holder requests for regeneration, a new VID is generated and the previous VID becomes inactive. However, if the resident requests for recovery of VID, the last generated VID is sent to the Aadhaar card holder.
Can VID be used for OTP/Demographic/Biometric authentication?
Yes, Aadhaar Virtual ID can be used in place of Aadhaar Number in Authentication API input. Various entities have to update their Aadhaar authentication application by 31st May 2019 to accept VID as input for authentication.
क्या वीआईडी का इस्तेमाल ओटीपी/जनसांख्यिकीय/बायोमीट्रिक प्रमाणीकरण के लिए किया जा सकता है?
हां, प्रमाणीकरण एपीआई इनपुट में आधार संख्या के स्थान पर आधार वर्चुअल आईडी का उपयोग किया जा सकता है। प्रमाणीकरण के लिए इनपुट के रूप में VID को स्वीकार करने के लिए विभिन्न संस्थाओं को 31 मई 2019 तक अपने आधार प्रमाणीकरण आवेदन को अपडेट करना होगा।